Learn to Identify Annuals, Perennials, Vines, and Groundcovers: Online Course Begins March 4, 2019
Join us in this introduction to Plant Identification. You will learn 45 plants and the botanical vocabulary to describe them.
General Public: $195.00
Extension Master Gardener℠ & Extension Master Naturalist Volunteers: $98.00
JC Raulston Arboretum Volunteers: $98.00
Extension Professionals: $50.00
(Get the discount code from your Extension Agent, or the Volunteer Director at JC Raulston Arboretum. If your agent needs the code, have them email a request to Lucy_Bradley@ncsu.edu from their work email account.)
Longwood Gardens, one of the premier public gardens in the world, is partnering with NC State University Department of Horticultural Science to provide a fully-online introduction to plants. This survey course will introduce you to plants that can be grown throughout the nation. In this online, plant identification course you will learn on your own schedule.
Through photo-stories, video presentations, online plant profiles, an e-book, flash-cards, vocabulary games, mystery plants and hundreds of beautiful images you will learn the key identifying characteristics of 45 featured plants and how best to use them in the landscape.
This is an asynchronous, fully online, self-paced, non-credit course. You may participate anywhere that you have access to the internet. You will have access to the course resources 24/7 for the entire 6 weeks of the class and for 6 months after the course ends. There are no required presentations or any set times that you will need to meet online.
In addition to the course fee, you may choose to purchase an optional print copy of the online ebook that is included with the course.
Starts on March 4, 2019.
Comments from Students:
- “I learned a lot! I also really enjoyed this course!”
- “It covered exactly what I wanted to learn.”
- 85% of students rated the course as Excellent.
- “Excellent feedback and response to messages”
- “The instructor did a wonderful job of corresponding to individual students and also as a group”
- “The course construction was incredible! A great way to delve deeper into the species of particular/common plants. I love working at my own pace.”
- “I thought the amount of information covered over 6 weeks was just right. Not too much, not too little. Challenging, but not overwhelming.”
- “Thank you, this has been an excellent opportunity to continue my education while managing my other obligations. I look forward to taking another course in the future!”
This is one of three online non-credit courses, each focused on different plant groupings and each including some favorites as well as a few introductions from the research and breeding programs at Longwood Gardens and North Carolina State University.
- Annuals, Perennials, Vines, and Groundcovers
- Trees, Shrubs, and Conifers
- Edibles, Bulbs, and Houseplants