Online, Interactive Extension Gardener Handbook & Teacher’s Guide
In partnership with Top Hat Monocle we have just released an online interactive version of the NC Extension Gardener Handbook along with instructor resources. It is available for instructors in use in courses and to individuals for self study.
Wonderful Tools Available on Top Hat:
Everything in the handbook is available online
|Embedded Instructor Resources (Quizzes, Reader’s Guide, Homework)
|Roll over glossary|
All botanical names linked to Plant Toolbox
Ability to highlight text
|Images with Creative Commons licenses linked to their source with citation (they can be used in a variety of ways)
|Videos embedded in the text
|Integrated Questions/Check your knowledge throughout the book
|Instructors have the ability to Edit EVERYTHING – Tailor the book to your specific region and the needs of your clients.|
|Additional resources available to instructors
|Published on Top Hat|
Quotes from Agents teaching Extension Master Gardener Classes using the Top Hat version of the Extension Gardener Handbook:
- “We are attracting a different/broader clientele.” Matt Stevens, Horticulture Agent, Nash County and Julie Flowers, Horticulture Agent, Gaston and Cleveland Counties.
- “My students are more engaged and better prepared.” Shawn Banks, County Director, Carteret County.
- “The materials are excellent!“
- “Tracking performance is so easy! I know immediately who understands and who needs help.” Kara Carlton, Idaho Master Gardener Program Coordinator.
- “The support from Top Hat is excellent” Doug Clement, County Director Cherokee County and Julie Flowers, Horticulture Agent, Gaston and Cleveland Counties.
VIDEO INTRODUCTION ( 1 hr) – Overview of the entire system
Links for Extension agents and other instructors interested in using the handbook to teach a course:
- NC State Extension agents – contact Aly.Kaba@tophat.com
- Other instructors visit go.ncsu.edu/handbook-tophat
For individual self study, purchase a copy of the interactive handbook
This information is also available in other formats including Hardcover, eBook, and online.