How to Select a Plant Using Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox
Here is an example of how to find a plant that is native to the piedmont, not invasive, and not weedy.
- Click “Find a Plant” (in the upper left corner – circled in blue below)
- In the top box in the left column under “Cultural Conditions” select “NC Region” to open the drop-down menu and select “Piedmont“
- In the second box in the left column titled “Landscape”
- Select “Landscape Theme” to open the drop-down menu and select “Native Garden“
- Select “Problems to Exclude” to open the drop-down menu and select “Invasive” and “Weedy“
To narrow the list, you can specify Cultural Conditions (light, space, hardiness zone, etc.) Landscape Uses (Attracts wildlife, Resistance to Deer, etc.) Whole Plant Traits (Tree, Shrub, etc.) Flowers color and bloom time, and Leaves.
You can click on plants of interest (for example the one circled in yellow above) to open their profile page which has images, descriptions, and data.
You can click on the “Add Button” (blue arrow above) to add a plant to your shopping list.